Monday 25 February 2013

The Friday Market (take one)

So on friday I visited the Friday Market here in kuwait- which is actually open on saturdays, or so I have heard- the market was not full of antiques and handicrafts from Iran that filled my dreams the night before but was more like a cross between a market and car boot.  Being a cultivated market and car boot I arrived ready to spend hours systematically tackling this beast of a market row by row, section by section; this certainly did not happen, I was too distracted by all the colours, hilarities and unfamiliar objects..... and at certain points running away from market stall owners trying to make me buy things I really did not want or need....but would have probably ended up buying if they had got me chatting, a weakness of mine I am more than aware of!
  The Market sells absolutly everything, beds, matresses, electrical appliances, sofa's, rugs, materials, second hand clothes, gym equipment and general bric-a-brac. You could basically kit out a whole house-if you wanted it to look like aladin's palace that is!
 The clothes section was intersting but was filled mainly with what looked like old factory stock .....a lot of polyester; so this did not excite me too much; what did make me extremely happy were the rolls upon rolls of fabric! It was AMAZING....of course this is where I made my first purchase! Other sections which could have bemused me for hours had I been alone were the traditional arabic sofa's and the ginormous rugs!
  My second purchase was made at a stall run by two pakistani gentleman, the stall to me was not disimilar to one found at typical english car boot filled with old bric-a-brac that the owners had accumulated,items no common theme or origin. My purchase was an old globe, not an antique with value by any stretch of the imagination but as soon as I spotted it I grew attached! The globe's previous owner obviously used it a lot as countires of significance have been erased by pointing fingers and the re-written by hand, I think I'm a sucker for an item with it's own history!
   Upon visiting the market be prepared to haggle for a bargain, I stood at each stall and before purchasing listened to see what the stall owner was asking other customers..... just to make sure I was not getting ripped off, I then asked the price (of course nothing has prices on) and then just proceeded "haggle" The material I got for 2kd- original asking price was 3kd, and the globe I purchased for 4kd and the original asking price was 8kd, normally by skills for bargaining are poor so I was quite pleased with myself.
  The Friday Market also has an animal section which sells pets which we did not venture in to on this occassion, I will be sure to visit at some point but I have a feeling it is a place I will only want to visit once from the stories....I fear I will leave with my own small army of animals!


No comments:

Post a Comment